What will I learn?
This course will introduce knowledge and skills focused on developing you into a well-rounded and independent safety diver, capable of planning and executing safety and rescue procedures for all levels of diving. Skills that are covered include:
- Roles and responsibilities of a safety freediver
- Advanced safety and problem management: depth protocols, building safety teams for target dives, individual member roles, etc.
- Counterbalance and freediver retrieval system operation and assembly
- Problem management for specific competition disciplines
- DCS and oxygen toxicity related issues in technical freediving and appropriate responses
- Usage of O2 as a recovery gas in freediving
What’s in it for me?
Upon successful completion of the PFI Safety Freediver course, you may:
- Start you journey into the world of professional freediving with the PFI Supervisor course
- Act as a competition safety in freediving competitions all over the world
- Be eligible to take the PFI Advanced freediver course; the final level in freediving courses
The low down
As this is the entrance into professional level courses and requires a fair amount of specialty equipment, this course is not run regularly. Contact us for specific details such as course duration, location and pricing.
- Minimum 18 years of age or 16 years with parental consent
- Competent swimming skills
- PFI Intermediate Freediver certification (or equivalent with a one-day crossover course)
- Good health and fitness
- FRTI First response Adult, Child & Infant emergency care certification and FRTI O2 administration certification (or equivalents)
- Successfully complete all the knowledge development, confined water, and open water training sessions.
- Demonstrate mature and sound judgment concerning planning and execution.
- Achieve a passing score of 80% on the final exam and show whole knowledge comprehension.
- Complete all the required in-water skills at a satisfactory standard